In this workshop, we return to the origins of mosaic art: the timeless beauty of ancient Greek and Roman floors are our motifs, which can be copied 1:1 or varied in their color nuances.
Discover the roots of a fascinating craft
We will look at different examples and styles of antique mosaics and make a copy of the template.
You will learn
- How did the mosaicists work in ancient times?
- What makes the work so distinctive today?
- How can I make a copy of a Roman mosaic?
- How do I prepare my material best?
- How do I cut small squares and how do I arrange them?
- What are the andamenti and why are they so important?
- How do I lay the tesserae without creating any chaos and difficulties?
- Which tool is suitable for which material?
We work with hammer and hardie, the traditional mosaic tools, in direct technique.
As a student, you will create a mosaic in 20 x 20 cm. For your work you can use marble and smalti from my fundus or bring your own material.
1. – 3. November 2019
6. – 8. December 2019
6. – 8. March 2020
3. – 5. April 2020
1. – 3. May 2020
7. – 9. August 2020
4. – 6. September 2020
6. – 8. November 2020
4. – 6. December 2020
To register, just fill in the application form below, contact me by e-mail or call +49 172 385 95 91. I look forward to seeing you! You might also like the Open Mosaic Studio for Adults and the mused Family Events. Spread the word!