In this workshop, we return to the origins of mosaic art: the timeless beauty of ancient Greek and Roman floors are our motifs, which can be copied 1:1 or varied in their color nuances.
Discover the roots of a fascinating craft
We will look at different examples and styles of antique mosaics and make a copy of the template.
You will learn
- How did the mosaicists work in ancient times?
- What makes the work so distinctive today?
- How can I make a copy of a Roman mosaic?
- How do I prepare my material best?
- How do I cut small squares and how do I arrange them?
- What are the andamenti and why are they so important?
- How do I lay the tesserae without creating any chaos and difficulties?
- Which tool is suitable for which material?
We work with hammer and hardie, the traditional mosaic tools, in direct technique.
As a student, you will create a mosaic in 20 x 20 cm. For your work you can use marble and smalti from my fundus or bring your own material.
1.–3. March 2019
1.–3. May 2019
7.–9. June 2019
2.–4. August 2019
6.–8. September 2019
1.–3. November 2019
6.–8. December 2019
To register, just fill in the application form below, contact me by e-mail or call +49 172 385 95 91. I look forward to seeing you! You might also like the Open Mosaic Studio for Adults and the mused Family Events. Spread the word!